Jim Green's 90q 20vt - 636whp 07k

Document and share your build!

Postby audifreakjim » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:20 pm

:woowoo: Just got a phone call that the pistons are in! I might actually get this thing going before Christmas :-D
audifreakjim

Postby noriceforyou » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:49 pm

audifreakjim wrote::woowoo: Just got a phone call that the pistons are in! I might actually get this thing going before Christmas :-D

freaking awesome Jim! Now if "Santa" would only deliver that dang axle for my Nissan! ;)
noriceforyou

Postby Toxcheap » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:57 pm

:stupid:
Sweet get some pics up so we can see :-D
Toxcheap

Postby audifreakjim » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:40 pm

Here's some pics of the pistons.

Attachment ( 2768 ) : P1010094.JPG

Attachment ( 2767 ) : P1010092.JPG

Attachment ( 2766 ) : P1010089.JPG
audifreakjim

Postby SEStone » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:56 pm

Interesting skirt shape on the sides there!

Sam
Sam Stone
SEStone

Postby Derracuda » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:59 pm

yeah jim, you got a nice skirt there :-D
Derracuda

Postby Audilard » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:52 pm

I thought those were gold plated for a second. :P
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby JShadzi » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Hey Jimmy, interesting pistons, check out my pistons, here is what I did (or how my pistons turned out):

The dish on your Weisco's looks really big, you sure its 13cc's? Also, the valve reliefs are really big, any reason for it?
JShadzi

Postby RSCoupe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:48 pm

I noticed that on Jim's Wiseco's that the sharp edge between the valve pocket and the edge of the piston has been removed, whereas on Javad's JE's, it's there. There were some reports on the S2Forum that this thin "edge" can become a hot spot, potentially causing detonation, and in some, it even melted. Those that have gotten JE's since, have ground away this sharp area.

Any thoughts? Javad?

My new JE's are scheduled to arrive Wednesday.
Thanks Javad! :-)
Mark Siggelkow
'90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4
'12 TT-RS (Wife's DD)
'00 A4 1.8TQ (My DD)
'62 356B (vintage racer)
'07 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (for towing/hauling)
RSCoupe

Postby Toxcheap » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:52 pm

Well can't be much different than these areas!!

Attachment ( 2770 ) : P10100891.jpg
Toxcheap

Postby audifreakjim » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:11 am

The dish on your Wiseco's looks really big, you sure its 13cc's? Also, the valve reliefs are really big, any reason for it?

Yea, that's why I sent you that email. It looks like on your pistons they just shaved it off and didn't really dish it? These maintain the compression hieght all the way around, which would cause the dish to look bigger in the middle.

I noticed that on Jim's Wiseco's that the sharp edge between the valve pocket and the edge of the piston has been removed, whereas on Javad's JE's, it's there. There were some reports on the S2Forum that this thin "edge" can become a hot spot, potentially causing detonation, and in some, it even melted. Those that have gotten JE's since, have ground away this sharp area.

It looks like that's what they've done to me.

I might try and get some clay to see what these actually are. before these go to the machine shop tomorrow.
audifreakjim

Postby olsonjus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:04 am

They look really nice. I noticed the piston looks like it does maintain the compression height all the way around. This should help with detonation on pump gas. They look like quality pieces. Let us know if you do cc them.

Regards,
Justin
olsonjus

Postby audifreakjim » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:28 am

Well, just taking the major diameter of the dish and not figuring in the fairly significant camfer in the dish at 7cm and .35 cm deep would give 13.5 cc's. I'm not sure if the valve reliefs are included in the calcs or not, but it looks good to me.
audifreakjim

Postby audifreakjim » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:43 pm

Ok, spent all day messing with a bum engine hoist and a centerforce PP that's .4in shallower than the 7A PP that worked perfect. The AAN CF PP causes my slave cyl to bottom out so it looks like I'll be jimmy rigging the clutch with a slave cyl extension since I'm all tapped out of money for the car. Needless to say I didn't CC the pistons, but after did the calcs this morning, it's not necessary.
audifreakjim

Postby JShadzi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 am

RSCoupe wrote:I noticed that on Jim's Wiseco's that the sharp edge between the valve pocket and the edge of the piston has been removed, whereas on Javad's JE's, it's there. There were some reports on the S2Forum that this thin "edge" can become a hot spot, potentially causing detonation, and in some, it even melted. Those that have gotten JE's since, have ground away this sharp area.

Any thoughts? Javad?

I wouldn't call these areas "sharp" on my pistons, they are dimensioned exactly like the stock pistons, the areas are quite rounded over and I don't anticipate any hotspots becuase of the valve relief areas. I haven't seen Jim's pistons up close so I can't comment on those.

Yea, Jim, must be a visual illusion from the pics, and the large ring land rise makes up the difference.

And for referece to others that have mentioned it, the 20vt head's only quench area is right above or adjacent to the intake valves, or basically the "unmachined" area or "raised portion" on my pistons, the rest of the combustion chamber is completely open to the piston and simply makes up the hemispherical combustion chamber.
JShadzi

Postby pkw » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 am

with the stock mc bore the material gets pretty thin, (i have cut mine down a bit on my mc pistons for my 7a/mc combo) with an 83 mm bore like javads it would be fine. imho.........worse case, the problem would fix itself :P
pkw

Postby dets » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 am

jim, kinda OT , but what size exhaust do you run? compared to the 10V?

TIA.
dets

Postby zepmoreau » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:06 am

looks like I'll be jimmy rigging the clutch with a slave cyl extension

Jim, you should be good at "Jimmy-ing" anything.... let's rephrase this.... you're going to "Green" the slave with a slave extension... just so we're clear on this! :D :P
zepmoreau

Postby 87turboquattro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:25 am

JShadzi wrote:
RSCoupe wrote:I noticed that on Jim's Wiseco's that the sharp edge between the valve pocket and the edge of the piston has been removed, whereas on Javad's JE's, it's there. There were some reports on the S2Forum that this thin "edge" can become a hot spot, potentially causing detonation, and in some, it even melted. Those that have gotten JE's since, have ground away this sharp area.

Any thoughts? Javad?

I wouldn't call these areas "sharp" on my pistons, they are dimensioned exactly like the stock pistons, the areas are quite rounded over and I don't anticipate any hotspots becuase of the valve relief areas. I haven't seen Jim's pistons up close so I can't comment on those.

i don't know if you guys have looked at the pistons after running.but i had the same thing on my bbc weisco pistons,i like javad,rounded them over because from the factory they were sharp.when sharp,they melted away and disappeared down to a certain level.the rounded ones stayed put.neither engine had a detonation problem.engines are still running strong and haven't been pulled apart for 2 yrs of beating on the water.
87turboquattro

Postby audifreakjim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:38 am

dets wrote:jim, kinda OT , but what size exhaust do you run? compared to the 10V?

I'm sticking with the same 3" system, It should work just fine. Hell, I think Javad is still running 3" at 600 whp.
audifreakjim

Postby audifreakjim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:42 pm

:woowoo: The head's ready, there's a 83mm HG coming from Javad, we might have a running motor soon!
audifreakjim

Postby olsonjus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Take a picture of that head gasket when you get it. I'm curious what they look like.

Regards,
Justin
olsonjus

Postby audifreakjim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Don't worry, I'll have lots of pics to post. :-)
audifreakjim

Postby audifreakjim » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:09 pm

A little update, the bottom end and head are assembled, I was supposed to get the stupid thing in the car tonight, but I forgot my Bentley and needed a bunch of torque values, so now I get to update my thread and clean the bathroom. :frustrated:

ARP Fasteners, 034 rods.

Mmm,,,

Ported Head with water manifold machined in.

Electric PS pump. :woowoo:
audifreakjim

Postby Wizard-of-OD » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Love the PS Pump Location!
Wizard-of-OD

PreviousNext

Return to Projects