Jim Green's 90q 20vt - 636whp 07k

Document and share your build!

Postby dets » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:58 am

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:19 am

I just wanted to post your time stamp.

Ladies and gentlemen this man is dedicated. Take a look at what he has accomplished and think about how much you've gotten done with your projects.

Thanks for shaming us Jim!
dets

Postby dets » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:59 am

Oh, and btw, looks great!

You 20V guys have it so easy when it comes to piping your wastegate into your exhaust. I'm doing mine today and it doesn't look like they'lll be alot of space.
dets

Postby Berserker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 am

audifreakjim wrote:Ok, so on the Wiseco pistons. A buddy who has a freind that works there hooked me up big time we'll just leave it at that. :wink: I said, 83mm bore, 8.5:1 CR and he said cool, you should have them in three weeks. I think you could probably tell them it's for a ur-s4 and they would know what to make. If not I can try and share more info once I get the pistons like job #s or something.

Here's what I found out while shopping for pistons. JE is usually the most expensive, probably just because of name. But, they have a reputation of getting stuff out a little quicker and on time. Many of the others it's best to be prepared to send in a sample and wait to have it speced out. Also, talk to your local machine shop or performance shop to see what they can get.

Wiseco has a sample of a stock 3b piston. I know, because it used to belong to me. Brian Nutter was my contact there, when I told him that he could keep the sample, he said that he'd tag/catalog it and put it on the shelf.

I'm glad it possibly helped someone.
Berserker

Postby Highlander » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:19 am

Jim,

Boy you work fast.

looks great.
Highlander

Postby Audilard » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:56 am

Nice work Jim, are you rotating that turbo any? :-D
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby honky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:59 am

Man it's gonna get hot over there
honky

Postby audifreakjim » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:01 am

Nope, it's getting a cast 90 welded to the end of it so it will point towards the IC inlet That will be the next big update so hold tight:) I should have the intake done by the end of this weekend.
audifreakjim

Postby honky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 am

Props, dude!
honky

Postby shlab » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:47 pm

the thing with that wiseco having a 3B piston is only good for the 2.2l(81mm bore) turbo guys. guys like me building a 2.3l(82.5mm bore) turbo will need to send him a different piston. anyone have a 2.3l piston around? if not i could possibly pick one off the junkyard. jim, have you figured out what the 7A head CC is? i know you said you'd try to because if we aren't certain what a NG/7A combo CR is than it'd be difficult to make a custom piston. correct me if i'm wrong.

>>Emy
shlab

Postby olsonjus » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:50 pm

What is the difference. I think they just use the piston to locate the valve reliefs and such. Changing the bore doesn't change that. I'm looking for a 83mm set of weisco pistons for my 3b.

Justin
olsonjus

Postby audifreakjim » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:04 pm

:stupid:
audifreakjim

Postby shlab » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:09 pm

so would it be as easy as jim did? just calling it in and telling wiseco the bore, CR desired, and probably a sample piston?!

>>Emy
shlab

Postby quattro87 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:37 pm

Nice work Jim, are you rotating that turbo any?

Jim the correct answer would have been "ya about 50k RPM"
Looking good. Fast work. I'll bet the wife is still out of town!
quattro87

Postby JShadzi » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:19 pm

shlab wrote:so would it be as easy as jim did? just calling it in and telling wiseco the bore, CR desired, and probably a sample piston?!

>>Emy

You can try, Weisco doesn't really like doing 1-off pistons to people that call in, typically you need a wholesale account or need to commit to buying a minimum quantity. A few years back I did a GB of 10 sets of pistons for this very reason.

HTH,
JShadzi

Postby shlab » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:32 pm

well i just got off the phone with them. they said the easiest way would be to just send them a sample piston and the CC of the head i'll be using. as long as i keep the rod length and crank the same, i shouldn't have any problem. they quoted me ~$93 with rings ~$110-115 a piece. did anyone find the CC of the 7A head? now the question ... will they do one run.

>>Emy
shlab

Postby pro_mtn_biker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:20 pm

Man Jim, you are going to have that thing done in no time! You MIG all that exhuast yourself?
pro_mtn_biker

Postby audifreakjim » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:40 pm

Yea, they're not the nicest welds in the world, but I'm getting pretty good with the MIG and stainless. Aluminum on the other hand..... I may tack the IC together and bribe Brendan to finish it, or I might braze it. I had to patch a hole from a bolt that dug into the core and the brazing worked awesome.
audifreakjim

Postby quattro87 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:08 pm

well i just got off the phone with them. they said the easiest way would be to just send them a sample piston and the CC of the head i'll be using. as long as i keep the rod length and crank the same, i shouldn't have any problem. they quoted me ~$93 with rings ~$110-115 a piece. did anyone find the CC of the 7A head? now the question ... will they do one run.

now youve got me wanting a new set of pistons and rings, except I would like an oversized mc bore with CR to run the 7A head. Sounds like a fairly strong 20v for a good chunk less money seeing as you wouldn't have to buy custom rods and still ought to good for 400 hp or so.
quattro87

Postby pro_mtn_biker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:27 pm

I just got an email from Brooks (Brendan's roommate) and they fired the welder up. I'm sure he'd be up to help out.
pro_mtn_biker

Postby cuatrokoop » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:54 pm

shlab wrote:well i just got off the phone with them. they said the easiest way would be to just send them a sample piston and the CC of the head i'll be using. as long as i keep the rod length and crank the same, i shouldn't have any problem. they quoted me ~$93 with rings ~$110-115 a piece. did anyone find the CC of the 7A head? now the question ... will they do one run.

>>Emy

ITS THE SAME AS THE 3B....You don't need to send them a piston, they have a 3B, they know what the CR is, etc. They made Jim's 83mm pistons from a 81mm piston (3B) and he's not using a 3B head, but a 7A. Sheesh.
cuatrokoop

Postby Toxcheap » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:39 pm

:woowoo:

looks good!! Way to keep on top of it
Toxcheap

Postby audifreakjim » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks guys, yea that's the plan. I'm waiting until the pistons arrive to have the block bored and everything balanced just to make sure it's all perfect. I stated they were for an 83mm bore, but you never know what you'll actually get. Hopefully the machine shop will not have a 2 week backlog when I show up with the parts. I'm still waiting to see what they come up with on the machining for the 3B coolant manifold.
audifreakjim

Postby olsonjus » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:56 am

Are you going to use a torque plate when boring and honing the block? I'm trying to figure out what to do about this when I have my block machined.

Justin
olsonjus

Postby Audilard » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:21 am

audifreakjim wrote:Thanks guys, yea that's the plan. I'm waiting until the pistons arrive to have the block bored and everything balanced just to make sure it's all perfect. I stated they were for an 83mm bore, but you never know what you'll actually get. Hopefully the machine shop will not have a 2 week backlog when I show up with the parts. I'm still waiting to see what they come up with on the machining for the 3B coolant manifold.

I'm trying to track down a good machine shop in SLC. I may just schedule a trip to San Fran and have Javad and gang machine my ported head for the 3B manifold. Then I will decide between the 82.5mm 7A block or going to 83. Can't decide. Can't wait to see the car next year here at Miller Motorsport. Keep at it Jim!
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby cuatrokoop » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:27 am

For boring, it is highly recommended to run a torque plate to simulate the head being bolted down. For honing, it is not needed.
cuatrokoop

PreviousNext

Return to Projects