eS2 evolution

Document and share your build!

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 pm

FFF wrote:Accusump showed up...

I think I may install it behind the engine.

Looking forward to see what you do because I have one too that I’ve yet to install. Using an electronic pressure valve with sensor ?
Afterthought

Postby jbrentd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am

Great work, as usual!
jbrentd

Postby highlander69 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Looking great !!

love the attention to detail. :beer:
highlander69

Postby FFF » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

Afterthought wrote:
FFF wrote:Accusump showed up...

I think I may install it behind the engine.

Looking forward to see what you do because I have one too that I’ve yet to install. Using an electronic pressure valve with sensor ?

Yes, using the electric pressure valve - I also picked up the Ultra Performance oil filter housing fitting from Alex for the install.

When I was at Gatebil in Sweden I saw several S2's mounted in different locations - I think I liked the behind the engine the best but am going to dig through some photos (I think that I took pictures... hopefully!).
FFF

eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm

I’ve got the accusump but I need to size the electric valve. What confused me about the electric valve is finding one that won’t dump 2 qts of oil in when I’m just trying to idle .

I have a pressure gauge hooked up but it’s at the very end of the circuit and at idle I’m showing around 1.5 bar hot . At this pressure if I understand right , even the lowest pressure valve they sell would open , unless I turn it off which I’m 100% sure I wouldn’t remember to flip a switch every time I idle .

So what I’m thinking I might do is hook up a gauge at my oil block which is just downstream of the oil filter but upstream of the check valve to the head , this way I can see what is the normal pressure the accusump will be seeing - then I will know if my valve is sized right .

Regarding location I’ll have to look at some pics . Behind the engine might be clean . You won’t have this problem but I have a bunch of wires and crap there , might be nice to cover it up.
Afterthought

Postby FFF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:51 am

The two primary choices you have are as follows - install a switch that you use to activate and only turn it on when you are not idling, use a low enough pressure that it doesn’t activate at idle... I’m going to try to have it wired in to my ECU so that it won’t activate unless over XX RPM (there may be a better metric to use but I haven’t given it much thought yet!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby Afterthought » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm

That makes sense . Interesting . It’s almost like a simple circuit could be used like you’re saying . Like the old oil pressure monitoring relay, but in reverse . Something that sees rpm and or throttle position or something to give the valve power , then when it’s on it does it’s thing .

Once I get around to the install we’ll see what I can come up with . And I’ll have to look at potential locations too
Afterthought

Postby FFF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 pm

jbrentd wrote:Great work, as usual!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm

highlander69 wrote:Looking great !!

love the attention to detail. :beer:

Thanks! Eventually I’ll be able to take it for a drive...

FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Afterthought wrote:That makes sense . Interesting . It’s almost like a simple circuit could be used like you’re saying . Like the old oil pressure monitoring relay, but in reverse . Something that sees rpm and or throttle position or something to give the valve power , then when it’s on it does it’s thing .

Once I get around to the install we’ll see what I can come up with . And I’ll have to look at potential locations too

I’ll be sure to note what I end up doing for sure...
FFF

Postby FFF » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 pm

Still picking away...

Built a bracket for 3 relays, high beams fan and a spare.

ImageImageImage

FFF

Postby jbrentd » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Clean install on those relays. Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbrentd

Postby cuatrokoop » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:25 pm

I just noticed you mentioned Raychem. That is some seriously nice stuff. Typically MIL-Spec/MIL-STD stuff, arguably the best out there. Do you have an Aerospace background by chance?
cuatrokoop

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 pm

cuatrokoop wrote:I just noticed you mentioned Raychem. That is some seriously nice stuff. Typically MIL-Spec/MIL-STD stuff, arguably the best out there. Do you have an Aerospace background by chance?

Little bit of everything - spent many years working with helicopters (they support our industry) - learned lots from the engineers but my primary business is Seismic... lots of complex wiring that works in very hostile environments. Technology has significantly reduced the amount of wiring but learned a ton over 20 years in the field - I sit behind a desk now but old habits and all...

Few work pictures -

Simple setup... North Slope Alaska

FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Few more

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

FFF

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:33 am

1500+ kilometers of wire deployed... all has to work... testing and deploying...

ImageImage
FFF

Postby Afterthought » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:19 am

Bad ass
Dude look at the tires on that thing ! So cool.
Afterthought

Postby FFF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 pm

Afterthought wrote:Bad ass
Dude look at the tires on that thing ! So cool.

72” X 72”... total pain when you got a flat!

FFF

Postby FFF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Seem to be wandering around the car a bit... pulled the rear lights, polished them up and new butyl installed, wasn’t certain what thickness to use so went with a 3/8 (9mm)... seems to be the right size, lights seem to sit where they need to.

ImageImageImageImageImage
FFF

Postby FFF » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm

So I’ve been going back and forth for quite sometime on the best way to proceed with brakes and electronic throttle.... Alex’s stuff is very nice but it wasn’t the entire solution as I still would have needed to do something for the throttle..

Weighed the total cost of multiple options and decided to go with a Tilton floor mount pedal set, I didn’t order anything else with it as I wanted to ensure it would work without cutting up the firewall. Total cost will be a little more but not drastically based on what I was looking at - shipping duties etc included in my evaluation). I guess in for a penny in for a pound

Very pleased. The seating, pedal and shifter positioning feel very good!!

ImageImageImageImage
FFF

eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm

Tapatalk double post...
Last edited by FFF on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FFF

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 pm

That's badass.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
PRY4SNO

Postby MikeB25 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am

I would love to see more more detail on how the pedal box gets mounted. I may have missed it but are you going with the stock brake booster or dual master cylinders?
'74 100LS (barn find)
'90 Coupe Quattro (AAN swap underway)
'93 UrS4 (organ donor)
'02 A4 1.8T Quattro (bone stock daily)
'08 Q7 (lemon)
'12 S4 (Stage 1...for now)
MikeB25

Postby FFF » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:04 am

MikeB25 wrote:I would love to see more more detail on how the pedal box gets mounted. I may have missed it but are you going with the stock brake booster or dual master cylinders?

I’ll definitely post photos and show how I mount them for sure. I’ll be using dual Tilton 78 series master cylinders. The pedals have a brake bias bar for managing the bias and you can change pedal location to improve mechanical advantage for pressure.
FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Decided to play a little today.... messed around with hydro dipping stuff, thought I had timing and activator figured out.

My brain was not working... had planned on the Geckos coming out of fender instead of from underneath... didn’t quite put enough activator on graphic when I did the tank so minor imperfections.

Used a Rubbermaid bin, something slightly larger would have helped I think... and then an absorbent to clean between dips.

And flat pieces are much simpler. Quite happy how the bracket turned out.

Don’t plan on redoing tank unless I decide it’s too much. Thinking most of it disappears once car is back together (or that’s the plan).

FFF

PreviousNext

Return to Projects